You are here: Technologies -> EasyListen
Real time fast speech intelligibility enhancer
As time passes, it seems that people tend to talk faster and faster each year. Some of them even tend to speak fast to us in foreign language. We often don’t have enough time to catch phone numbers, dates or other important information. And they don’t have time to repeat …
Finally there is a technology that can help. EasyListen™ dynamically slows down the incoming speech making it natural and understandable. While “time stretching” technologies for speech modification are known for a long time (see here for example), EasyListen is more complicated and intelligent than classical approaches. The key is the word “dynamically” and here are the main differences:
- EasyListen is a real time technology. Slowing down an audio signal in real time means a delay is accumulating fast. In any real voice conversation such accumulated delay must be compensated at some moment without missing important parts of the speech. Pauses happening in each real conversation and shortening such pauses is used to reduce the delay. But what if a person continuously speaks fast with no interrupts – in this case EasyListen will stop slowing his/her monolog when the maximal allowed delay is exceeded.
- EasyListen does not stretch tones, noises and other irrelevant sounds
- EasyListen does not slow down all parts of the speech equally. It performs a sophisticated speech analysis and stretches only those parts that are important for understanding but too fast and only to the extent it is necessary. Consequently, different vowels, plosives and fricatives are not stretched in an equal manner. And some sounds that that do not require stretching are not processed at all. For example such continuous sounds as “Aaaa”, “yee”, “Mmm” etc are not stretched.
EasyListen technology is language independent and works equally well with Western and Eastern tonal languages.
Applications of EasyListen technology include:
- Consumer voice communication (mobile and cordless phones, Bluetooth headsets)
- Professional voice communication (e.g. communication between foreign pilots and control tower)
- TV and radio receivers
- Voice recorders
- Voice mailboxes
Hearing is believing - interactive audio examples
Use control buttons on the interactive screenshots to play/stop/navigate.
Original speech recording - a phone dialog between two fast talkers:
EasyListen™ output - while the length of the dialog has not increased significantly, the intelligibility has certainly improved:
Original speech recording - a presentation example; the presenting lady probably speaks too fast for most people:
EasyListen™ output - slowing her down by 15% (on average), makes the content much more intelligible:
Please, contact us for more information.
go back to the Technologies page.